Physician Contract Review
Physician Contract Review - Legal and Compensation Analysis
Have you received a physician employment agreement and want to get the best deal possible, without antagonizing your future colleagues? With The Physician Prosperity Program®, the premier physician contract review service, you can avoid the traps that the employer’s attorneys have worked so hard to create. It’s only natural to be confused by the legalese in your employment agreement, but a thorough legal review will assure that you get a fair contract that appropriately rewards you for all those years of training.
The Physician Prosperity Program® includes a complete, fixed fee, physician contract review and compensation analysis personally performed by attorney Dennis Hursh, author of The Final Hurdle – a Physician’s Guide to Negotiating a Fair Employment Agreement. Dennis protects physicians in all 50 states.
The Physician Prosperity Program® includes:
- Analysis of the contract language in each provision, with detailed recommended replacement language to protect you against hidden pitfalls in language designed by the employer’s attorney
- Comparison of the compensation provisions with MGMA benchmarks for your specialty in the employer’s area, including an analysis of vacation, CME, guaranteed compensation, productivity compensation, signing bonus, and relocation allowances. Our physician contract review letter will point out any shortfalls (and our email to you will tell you when a benchmark has been exceeded by the offer), so you know if you are getting a reasonable offer, or if you are “leaving money on the table”
- Discussion of the benefits offered, including what benefits other physicians have received that are not contained in the offer
- Analysis of the restrictive covenant to make sure you can still practice medicine in this location if you leave this position
- Review of the call coverage requirements. My physician contract review letter will include suggestions for additional payments when the call coverage exceeds benchmarks – to avoid “death by 24/7”
- Analysis of the malpractice insurance provisions – the wrong language can cost you as much as four months’ pay if you leave
- If you are joining a private practice, I analyze the time until ownership, the buy-in calculation methodology, and assurances about your rights as an owner – and suggest changes where appropriate to protect you
- Discussion of other issues, including patient contact hour requirements, and concerns about starting work when scheduled, so you don’t end up moving to town and not being allowed to work
After purchasing the physician contract review, you will receive an email asking you to transmit the agreement and any concerns you have to Dennis. Many physicians do this by email, but Dennis will be available by phone, too. In one week from the time you purchase the Physician Prosperity Program® and transmit the draft physician employment agreement along with any concerns you have about the agreement, you will receive a detailed physician contract review letter from Dennis.
After you receive our physician contract review letter, you will have the opportunity to discuss it with Dennis, to make sure all of your concerns were met, and to correct any factual inaccuracies, or to point out things that were verbally promised but didn’t make it into the physician employment agreement. These discussions, and revisions of the letter following these discussions, are included in the initial fixed fee.
Once you are completely comfortable with the physician contract review letter, you transmit the letter to your potential employer.